FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Engineers and supply packs
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    The Ville.org Half-Life Gaming Community Forum Index -> John_Doe's Tip Section
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GwarTime

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2002 9:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like the engie... and the neotf mg, but i have a pretty big prob... i pick either a defensive or offensive spot, i set my sg up and if nobody blows it up i build my mg. I ask nicely "snipe plz upgrage mg at (location)" after several minutes of watching my team totally ignore it get pretty mad. the exception is scouts (they seem to like the tesla coil too )

the only reason i play engi is because i like the mg... nobody ups it so the class is boring... so i go sold instead
Enrico

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2002 10:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What do you Engies think of the Flamegun MG? It doesnt do a lotta direct damage but it does on the other hand set people on fire, fires constantly, and throws them around while its at it. I have a liking for the pyro, but its not my favorite. also, i have never been attacked by the falmgegun, so i cant judge it there either.
Kjeldorian Royal Guard 42

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2002 11:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok Frag,

I have tried and tried to figure out just what you were talking about in your reply to this post. What is the "dreaded" visit? I must know, it has bugged me enough to bring this to the top again. . . . .

=US-V= Member/Event Coordinator - Retired
<eVa> Founding Father/Leadership/Webmaster - Retired
Ville Admin - Retired
Ktulu

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2002 12:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Juxtaposition, I like the new FlameGun MG, flamming spy's always make me warm inside.

Below is a screen shot on Avanti CP3 with two FlameGuns. As a bonus if you click the pic below you will see a much larger version of it.

On another note... I do not like the way the new Tesla Coil looks. I have a picture of the old Tesla and the new Tesla below. If you want the old Tesla back just click this link http://www.flakeys-realproperty.com/shortcuts/tesla.mdl and put it in this folder C:SIERRAHalf-Lifetfcmodelsneotf

Old Tesla

New Tesla

Snaggletooth

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2002 12:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for that link Ktulu. Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't Frag's *visit* a knife in the back?

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2002 11:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not sure what the "dreaded" visit is Snaggle. If it is the knife in the back, then I think he has visited me before!

Ville Admin - Retired
Zeratul

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2002 4:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is good stuff. I understand placing the SG on attacking when you are
pushing forward. But, what do you guys think of putting a SG by the
respawn like in Avanti when you are trying to get caps 3 or 4? It would
seem to me to not be as effective.

I also would like to see a thread on placing SGs in hard to reach places.
I haven't perfected the emp or grenade jump to aid me in those endeavors.

Entaro adun Executor!

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2002 4:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MG's first, then sg. The upgrade issue has been beat into the ground. I would recommend that you just toss it out into the open. If it still doesn't get upgraded, there's nothing you can do about it. If you are playing with a good team, it will get upgraded if you ask for it or not. I feel your pain.

PS if you want just build it on someone! That way they will get the idea! Just dont be a Llama about it. Good luck.

Ville Admin - Retired
Thom Yorke Obliterator

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2002 5:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zeratul, placing a sentry when attacking CP3 is a tough call. It's impossible to get one anywhere near the cap without having already capped, you know? Sometimes I'll put it back near CP2, to discourage Medics from attacking your backline. If you put it covering the hallway, it can keep defenders from raping your Snipers in the hallway. Enemy Spies LOVE to destroy this SG, which is actually cool. It distracts them from doing something more useful, like uncovering your Spies and attacking peeps.

If you don't mind dying, you can try putting a sentry down by the ramp, right past the death room. Tough to build, but it will be deadly in its short lifespan.

Attacking the church, I'll put a sentry to cover the little ledge to the backdoor. An aggressive defense will try to make it very tough to get at the backdoor.

Regarding "visits", I think the difference between a visit and a regular Frag knifing is that a visit has an intended target. How he can find a specific person in a crowd so precisely and so quickly is something that we mortals can only ponder . . .

thewz

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2002 6:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's a tip for you engies, you should almost NEVER create/discard ammo. If you haven't noticed, you create a pitiful amount of ammo, and waste alot of cells.
The best time to use the discard ammo feature, is if you go out with an attacking team, especially if it is comprised of slow classes like solly or hwguy. Toss them some ammo, although it is not a great deal of ammo, it should be enough to partially fill up their reserves of shells and rockets.

Here is another feature that engies have, but most people ignore. YOU CAN REPAIR FRIENDLY ARMOR! This is what an attacking engineer should do. If you see a wounded teammate, repair his armor. An engineer, teamed up with a medic can be a great tactic, when attacking on avanti. If the enemy has not created a crossfire, get a heavy weapons guy to open fire on the enemy defense, while the engy and the medic constantly refill his armor/health. (unfortunately the engy can only create 200 armor if he has a full supply of metal) Just make sure that the hwg appears in the sgs line of fire before the med/engy do. If the engy or med get in the sg's range before the hwg does, needless to say, they will be mowed down before they can do anything to help the heavy.

As an attacking engy, build your sgs and mgs CLOSE TO THE FRONT LINES! Every time that your team gains some more ground, move them up even more! this will help your team organize better attacking runs. NEVER BUILD AN SG INSIDE/NEAR YOUR RESPAWN! the only time you should do this is if the enemy is repeatedly raping your teammates as they leave the spawn.

The next trick might not always work, but at the least, it will sure as hell slow down the enemy defense. As an engy, if you can break past the enemy d while your team is attacking points 1/2, go to cap point 3 and build an sg there! Unless the defenders are currently spawning in that area, if they are just build the sg in that little corner with the supply pack next to the balcony. If you can however, build an sg on the little ledge next to cp3, you can hold back the enemy defense long enough to let your teammates bring the flag with ease. I have only succeeded at doing this once or twice with engy, it works much better if you are a spy or demoman.

Always try to build your sgs in high places, so that the enemy has trouble destroying it.
thewz

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2002 6:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

haha i'm chock full of tactics...to bad I never use them
Thom Yorke Obliterator

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2002 7:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One of my mostest favoritest SG spots is up on the pews in the church. You have to jump-crouch and shimmy around to be able to build it, but it kicks ass. It can survive a considerable amount of grenade spam on the ground, and will block Soldiers from rocket jumping the flag over the pews.

thewz

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2002 7:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pew is a funny word
haha...pew!
Zeratul

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2002 8:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok TYO help me out here. I've seen you made reference to the death room twice. Which room is that exactly?

Also, I need to learn to do that SG on pew building tactic. I've never taken the time to try it while playing in a game, but I agree its a great place to put your SG.

Entaro adun Executor!
Thom Yorke Obliterator

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2002 9:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Playing offense, the "death room" is the little room on the right after CP2 on Avanti. It has a ramp facing it when you come out the door. It's called the death room because people tend to hesitate at the door, so your team bunches up and gets spammed to kingdom come. When it gets full of ammo packs, this is one of the most lethal EMP targets you'll find. Hmmm, think I'll go play Engie now . . . . [drool]

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    The Ville.org Half-Life Gaming Community Forum Index -> John_Doe's Tip Section All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: