FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
How to be a better medic

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    The Ville.org Half-Life Gaming Community Forum Index -> John_Doe's Tip Section
View previous topic :: View next topic  
John Doe
Server Admin
Server Admin

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2001 12:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

John Doe
How to be a better Medic

Please post your tips on how to be a better medic.
Here is a link to a page with some medic tips.

http://www.planetfortress.com/medic/medic.html

CyCoDad
Re:How to be a better Medic Part 1

Medics !? Who needs them ? You do ! If the NME has a medic, your team needs one. If they don't, a medic on your team will be highly effective.
I'm sure that this will get little response since Medics are looked down on at avantiville for the most part, thanks to some Llamma types who resort to respawn camping for cheap points.

However, Medic is one of my favorite classes to play. It is hard to master since you need to play simultanious offense, defense and support roles. I really like the fear you see when you head toward a group of NME. They scatter like cockroaches with the lights turned on.

When I first started playing at Avanti I was almost always a medic. It was common for me to have high score and usually over the century mark. Died more often than a sniper so my ranking wasn't great but for a while I owned the daily awards related to medics. I never had to resort to respawn infecting to get those points either.

Nuff about me, here are a few pointers to being a better more effective medic.

1) Medics get points for curing infections. Not to mention the temporary gratitude of your sick teammate. This should be your number one priority.

2) Medics can put out fires and heal hallucinations and dizzyness.

3) Medics make good flag cappers, since they are like the second fastest class after scouts.

3) A quick boost by a medic restores you to full health. No need to hang around unless you want to boost higher or they are under constant attack.

4) Stay behind your teammate when healing him. I Hate it when a med comes at me from the front, usually gets us both killed. If you have the med kit out they should know you aren't a spy, if they read the other spy post

5) When you are infecting in NME territory ALWAYS take every standard pack you see. DON'T leave health for them. Try to get to the packs before they do, it keeps you alive and keeps them from getting any better and slows down their engies. ( This is my biggest TIP so pay attention, this is what gets me more kills than most meds )

6) Depending on the situation, weaken with med kit and finish off with shotgun or super nail gun. Good players will try to kill themselves rather than infect teammates or give you the kill. Oh and toss grenades if you see an NME medic in the group. Even Concussion grenades help by making it harder to avoid sick teammates.

CyCoDad
Re:How to be a better Medic Part 2

7) A quick strike by a lone medic can be very effective at stopping a defense from getting set up. An outbreak in the church causes all kinds of havoc. People grabbing engies packs to stay alive etc.
Be ready to switch from Offense to defense if an NME med gets through. HEAL FIRST, then go back on offense. Only exception is if you think you can get the NME med, if you can, do it, then heal.

9) People need to spread out to get healed, don't bother with a group of teammates bunched together, they will only keep infecting each other and waste your valuable time. Of course sometimes I wish the medic had the tranq gun to slow down idiots that call for a medic then run away. If the don't stop at the first pack they come to I quit chasing them.

10) Keep your med kit out and bump everyone you see, it will either boost them back to normal health or infect the spy who somehow slipped past or is on the way past. Only take your gun out to finish someone off or stop the flag runner.

11) The medic is one of the best at taking out SGs. Right after the spy and the sniper. OK so everyone but the scout and pyro should be able to take SGS out easily, but only in specific situations. The medic can do it from safe range with his super nail gun or up close because of his speed and he is the last one shot at by the SG in a group. A truly advanced medic can circle straff a gun in the open and survive.

12) Medics can heal themselves, although it is slow. Always keep the trigger down on the med kit even when alone, if you are not at full health.

13) Good medics conc jump. At least when there is a need to. Conc jump scripts are lame, in my opinion, since they are effected by lag. Hold it to jump higher, drop it to jump farther. It's all about timing. There are some really good articles about how to conc jump. Read them and practice. Warpath is a good map for conc jumping medics.

14) visit your patients often (both sides) and don't stand still, intermittant taps on your forward key will aproximate the speed of a HW or soldier you are healing. If they stop, keep moving unless they are infected. A medic should always be in motion. Infect, run away, get packs, come back and infect some more. Rinse and repeat.

15) If you pass a slower class NME and they don't turn to attack you, get behind them and shoot them in the back of the head. Don't use the med kit for this or they will probably turn around and get you, since there is a different sound to infection.

16) I almost hate to mention this one but Medic vs Medic , loose the kit and draw the gun. I laugh when a med keeps using the kit on me as a medic. It does minimal damage, but a medic is immune to continued infection and can heal the small damage done as soon as he has dispatched the NME medic.

That is all that comes to mind right now. Remember that a good medic can swing the balance of a game. Please people, I'm sure there are things I don't know or have overlooked, help me out here.

<PWG>SuperZero
Re:How to be a better Medic

Great tips CyCo. I can't agree with the "heal first" motto more. Just tonight I was on a team playing against you and our idiot medic wouldn't heal us even if we were right next to him. Almost everyone was getting killed...it's very hard to survive any kind of a fight with only 12 health and an infection. I wanted to frag him myself (bloody mirror damage). I tend to heal a lot more than I infect when I play medic. It results in low score, but when my team has 150 health as they charge, it's a lot more effective. Hell, I've even followed a couple hws as they ripped through most of the defending team and even sgs. Kills me sometimes, but it really can help out and the fatties love the extra kills If you have any more pointers, don't be shy!
Bakuryu

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2001 7:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh baby do I have one more tip (this goes for scouts too). You have conc grenades, USE THEM. Hitting a teammate with a conc gives them an enormous boost without them getting dizzy. If the enemy hasn't set up shop yet, conc a hw into the fray, it scares the bejezzus out of the enemy to see a hw guy fly through the air right into their ranks.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
NiGhTmArE

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2001 4:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

when my old clan [NNC] was recruiting me into their clan your biggest tip john was wat they told me to do. thats what im working on b-cuz when i first infect someone with medpack im tempted to keep on using it.

CYA
NiGhTmArE
Twisted29

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2001 1:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bak, i have to disagree. Sure it may be fun to watch a HW fly into NME formation, but imagine that YOU are that HW. All of a sudden your thrust in the midst of enemies. You will probably die. And that would suck.

But anyway, medics are my greatest fear on avanit and most maps. Usually I hang out behind enem lines picking off snipers and slow HWs and such. Definately no friendly medics there. So when i DO get infected i usually have no choice but to die.

(helpful hint. If you get infected and dont plan on getting healed, hold down a grenade until detonation and chase down the medic)

The point of this ramble was to point out that medics act as just as valuable spy checkers as a spy or scout. Everyone wants to get healed, so if one of your teammmates runs away from you, shoot him. He's a spy. Also, while it may seem a stupid trick, conc jumping is a very important part of being a medic. If you jump right over a conc, it will throw you in the air and allow you to get places no other class can. If you let it push you, you become by far the fastest class in the game (even faster then a concing scout for some reason...) If you get good at it you can use concs to push you by sgs fast enough that they cant track you. Also learning how to double conc and handhold concs can be invaluable to. For instance, i get grab the flag on crossover and be on the bridge in less then 5 seconds with the conc (double conc, one up, one over)

There are many many little medic tricks out there, and I am certainly no great medic, so i wont pretend to give out great advice. I do recommend however that you check out the mastermedic (M|M), they have a great server and webpage, and are great guys.
Kronic

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2001 6:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

WOW JD I never knew u got points for healing your men from infection is this true?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Shootakill

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2001 3:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah it's true. I usually have not so good skill points and kill/death ratio, but it's one of the most important roles for your team.

Snaggletooth

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2001 4:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dude, thanks. I played medic for the first time and got the brave medic award the other day. I wish I'd known what other things I could do besides infest the other team with infections. It was fun to see half of the team go running like mad when I whipped out the dispenser. Kinda like being a HW only much, much faster.
LaraCroft

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2001 6:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The versitility of an Offensive medic is really unparalleled but only if you can do a HH conc jump at least 90% of the time. I would recommend trying to play the conc jumping maps if you intedned to become an expert Med.
Qwest Blows

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2001 3:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree Ive been playing medic for a while the biggest asset that the medic class has is the concs(sparing the healing abilities), use them to get to your destination, or to escape quickly from any situation. As said before healling your team mates has very good outcomes, especially offensive soldiers in nme base. They'll give you a free ride to the flag.
stupid

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2001 3:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

very good points about medic, just wanted to add a few more.
1) communication. Being one of the fastest classes in the game, and harnessing the power of the conc, you should be in the NME base more than your slower team mates. So, therefore, you should know where the sgs are and where the NME D is hanging out. Make sure you tell your team mates so they dont die by the same sg that you didnt see.

2)Lots of people have mentioned the ability to use the medpack for healing/infecting. One thing that ive learned is that the medpack does nothing for you at long ranges, so its good to be able to switch between the shotgun, nailgun, and medpack. I have a script/alias so that my default weapon is the shotgun. I have it set up so that when i press down the mousewheel it pulls out the medpack and attacks with it, when I let go of the mousewheel it switches back to the shotgun. Also, I have the same thing with the nailgun, so if im running around killing things with my shotty and see an sg in the distance i hold down my right mouse and it switchs to my nailgun and starts firing, then when i let go of the right mouse button it switches back to the shotty so i can go back to killing. It sounds complicated, but its really not, and its very useful.

3) This is something that MANY people disagree with me about. When Im playing offense i never attack the offense of the NME team. Its best to just avoid them by conc jumping past them, or concing them and running from them. The reason I do this is because ive got god knows how many sgs/soldiers/hws to kill in the NME base and dont want to waste my time or ammo on the NME offense. I just trust my own team's Defense, and only really stay in my own base long enough to upgrade the dispensers and heal team mates.

4) With the exception of an sg or pipe trapping demo, just by simply concing a defender you render them useless. If not useless, then they are reduced to a suicide bomber running straight at you. I'm sure this has been said before, but I wanted to add that just like you can conc jump places you can conc the NME out of your way. For example, I was playing Acroplis and there was an HW sitting in the front door of the base, rather than just throwing a conc at his forehead, i threw it 5 feet behind him and it blew him all the way to the battlements on my own base. Another thing to remember when concing someone is that concs will go through walls. for example if on 2fort there is an HW at the top of the spiral waiting to mow you down, just go in through the front door and throw a conc at the ceiling under the spiral, and that fatty wont be able to hit anything.

5) I can pull out A LOT of caps on public servers. One of my biggest tricks is to pitch the flag often. when you know you are going to die pitch the flag towards your destination. It may not seem like much, but if you can pitch the flag out of view of an sg, when you return it will be that much eaiser. Also, on maps like Well, you can pitch the flag out of the front window of the NME base to your team mates, thus avoiding a lot of the NME defense. I guess that would be a tip for any offensive class not just medic.

Sorry if I reiterated something someone already said. I'm sure there are things I missed, if I remember I'll come back and post em .
Shootakill

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2001 8:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

heres some help:
med is the best(well beside spy) at taking out SGs because their nail gun can take it out quickly adn from odd angles. I was playing warpath and i conced up to the other sides sniper and killed the sniper there(had it up to his head- couldnt see me) and went down and nail gunned some sentries that were out of range. this is also a good tactic for snipers but you shouldn't nadejup up there since it you aren't very well armored.
thewz

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2001 2:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

heres a way to scare the shit outta most nme meds.

So you have an annoying med chargin you with his medpack all the time? charge him and shoot him at close range (while priming a grenade) you will probably get infected and die, but at least youll take the annoying sob out with ya! And most meds dont expect ppl to charge them, meds love watching ppl run in horror as that medpack nears them.

Snaggletooth

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2001 2:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's *if* the medic is dumb enough to follow you around like mad without using his super shotty. Otherwise, just drop the nade and run for it. I almost never follow someone who I was attacking who turns to run, it usually means there are teammates close by, not a good situation for a med. Unless I can conc him and finish him off, or just off him.
Shootakill

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2001 3:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The worst thing to do is try to medipac and nme med. It does not do much damage, and he'll kill you with is super shotgun.
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    The Ville.org Half-Life Gaming Community Forum Index -> John_Doe's Tip Section All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: