FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Athlon XP+ or Athlon 64?

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    The Ville.org Half-Life Gaming Community Forum Index -> Tech Corner
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Athlon XP or Athlon 64?
Athlon XP
40%
 40%  [ 2 ]
Athlon 64
60%
 60%  [ 3 ]
Total Votes : 5

Vulcan

PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2003 1:29 pm    Post subject: Athlon XP+ or Athlon 64? Reply with quote

When I get a new computer around september, I am debating on getting a Athlon XP+ processor with a barton core or getting an Athlon 64. For the Athlon XP I would be getting either the Barton 2500+ or the 2800+. I am looking for something that I will at least be able to upgrade the processor for and will last for about four years. There are good and bad about both setups.
Vulcan

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2003 4:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anyone?
cobra
Server Admin
Server Admin

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2003 4:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i don't like AMD proccesors.

for the moment i am using one nevertheless. an athlon xp and haven't had any probs with it so far.
`RaphX

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2003 4:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

By the time September comes, everyone will probably be gushing about the Athlon 64. The XP+ was never intended as having a long a development ladder as the P4. So the 64 will probably be the best bet for a good, powerful machine, if top-end is what you're looking for.
CaptNCoke
Ville Supporter
Ville Supporter

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2003 5:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No one knows for sure how good the Athlon 64 is going to be. I hope it rocks, I've always used AMD proecessors. I would wait for some reviews to come out. Its still to early to judge how good the new Athlon is going to be. http://www.tomshardware.com is always a good place to keep an eye out on the news. However, if you are going to be looking for maximum upgrade capability then the Athlon XP isn't the way to go. The new 64 is a different socket so I would think that AMD is planning on making that their flagship CPU. All in all I think its a little to early to tell.

CC
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
PondScm007

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2003 6:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i doubt many programs will still even be able to use teh 64bit architecture, but if your ekeeping it for a while it may become more mainstream eventually... probbably be kind of costy though in only sept

BR, yo
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Vulcan

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2003 6:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PondScm007 wrote:
i doubt many programs will still even be able to use teh 64bit architecture, but if your ekeeping it for a while it may become more mainstream eventually... probbably be kind of costy though in only sept

The long term things is going to be the problem. Currently I am planning on going with an Athlon XP 2800+ (Barton core). I really don't want to even consider going with intel, but will they be keeping the same socket for a while, or are they upgrading too? I only have about 750-maybe 1000 to work with for a computer, so I think that the barton will probably be my best bet, and hope that later, if I need to upgrade again later, that I will be able to have the money when I need it.
`RaphX

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2003 11:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

By the time you need to upgrade again, you'll probably have more money with which to do so anyway.
Whatever

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2003 2:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since you are wanting something that will last quite a while, I would go with the 64. You might want to wait a little bit though until some more substantial reviews come out in the coming months. The nice thing about the 64 is that it will run 32 bit programs as well, so you will be able to use it immediately. You just won't be able to utilize the 64 bit component until some programs are actually coded for it.

I think 64 is the future eventually, but it might be 2 years or more before it become widespread.

Heck, it is hard to get people off of 98 and NT still!

Play under the names...Darlon Jeel, The Ghost, The Spirit, and <NSA>Whatever
Darkath

PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2003 12:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anyone correct me if I am wrong, I'm not a full computer geek, and I tend to say some stupid things.

I think if you have a 64-bit processor, you also need a 64-bit PCI interface, which means you would have to buy 64-bit network card, sound card, or whatever uses a PCI slot. Whatever mentioned 64-bit processors will run 32-bit programs, but I'm not sure if that applies to devices.

I would personally go with the Barton series for now, and upgrade in the future when the prices have gone down, and the 64-bit programs are being made.

Intel iz better though

800 MHz FSB

^^^ Clicky
Spanish Warpig

PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2003 12:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DaRkAtH wrote:
I'm not a full computer geek:

LIes U L0s3r
Whatever

PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2003 11:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know that AMD has worked hard to make sure the 64 will run 32 bit applications, but I don't know about the hardware side. Sounds like something you might want to research before making a decision.

Play under the names...Darlon Jeel, The Ghost, The Spirit, and <NSA>Whatever
Vulcan

PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2003 11:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like I said before, I decided to go with the AMD Athlon XP 2500+ with a barton core. This was mainly due to cost more than anything else, but also that it is pretty well established at the moment, and will be even more so come late August when the prices should be a little lower too and I might be able to get a 2800 instead for the same price. At this point, anything new would be an improvement to my current computer(500 mHz).
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    The Ville.org Half-Life Gaming Community Forum Index -> Tech Corner All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: