FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
language in Win98

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    The Ville.org Half-Life Gaming Community Forum Index -> Tech Corner
View previous topic :: View next topic  
cobra
Server Admin
Server Admin

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2003 9:24 am    Post subject: language in Win98 Reply with quote

is it possible to change the language of Win98 without formatting and reinstalling win98?????

my friend has a comp that's now configured in dutch by his dad. but cause he can't find his way in dutch he wants to set it in french.

so is it possible?
SpeCies

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2003 11:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As far as changing the applications language from one to another isn't possible unless you download that product in the desired language to begin with. If your friend is looking into browsing web sites, Sending email in french then he has to download and install different IMEs.

Here is an artical describing what you need,

Language Support Packages: allow Internet Explorer to display Web pages created in a different language. Input Method Editors (IMEs): allow you to fill in Web forms and send e-mail in a different language.
International Menus and Dialogs: allow you to view the menus and dialog boxes of Internet Explorer, Outlook Express, Netmeeting, and Wallet in a different language.Visit Microsoft in Japan (or China, or Israel, or...)
With language support packs, you can use your English (or other language) version of Internet Explorer to view characters on Web pages created in other languages. So Japanese-speaking people can read the Microsoft Japan Web site, even if they are running an English version of Windows. Language suport packs are available for:

Arabic
Chinese (Simplified)
Chinese (Traditional)
Hebrew
Japanese
Korean
Pan-European Languages
Thai
Vietnamese

After you install a language support package, all you have to do is visit a site that features the language of the package you installed. In most cases, Internet Explorer will automatically display the correct language characters for the site. If the correct characters do not display:

On the View menu, click Encoding, and then click Auto-Select.
Click the Refresh button.Send e-mail to Seoul International Input Method Editors make it easy to communicate with someone who speaks a different language than you. For example, if you live in the U.S. and are running an English version of Windows, you can activate your IME and send e-mail in Korean to your grandmother in Seoul. Your Korean IME will also let you fill out Web forms in Korean. IMEs are available for:

Chinese (Simplified)
Chinese (Traditional)
Japanese
Korean

After you install an Input Method Editor, an icon will appear on the taskbar, indicating the current input language. Here, the "En" represents English. To change to a different language:

Click the icon on the taskbar. From the menu, select the language you wish to use for creating e-mail and filling in Web forms.
The next time you create an e-mail message or fill in a Web form, the characters for the language you have chosen will appear. Follow the same procedure to return to your original language.

To enter text in languages other than Chinese, Japanese, or Korean, you can use the Multilanguage Support component. Multilanguage Support customizes your keyboard to type in another language. To install the Multilanguage Support component:

Click the Start button, point to Settings, and then click Control Panel.
In Control Panel, click the Add/Remove Programs icon. Click the Windows Setup tab. Select the check box for Multilanguage Support. Click OK.
To customize your keyboard:

Click the Start button, point to Settings, and then click Control Panel.
In Control Panel, click the Keyboard icon.
Click the Language tab.
Click the Add button.
Choose the language you want, and then click OK.
Search goes Swedish
So you want to brush up on your Swedish? Add Swedish Menus and Dialogs and you'll be able to sök the Web or send e-post to a friend. International Menus and Dialogs let you change the language of your menus and dialog boxes in Internet Explorer, Outlook Express, NetMeeting and Wallet. International Menus and Dialogs are available for:

Chinese (Simplified)
Chinese (Traditional)
Danish
Finnish
French
German
Italian
Japanese
Korean
Norwegian
Portuguese (Brazilian)
Swedish

After you install an International Menus and Dialogs package, to change the language of your menus and dialogs:

On the Tools menu, click Internet Options.
Click the Languages button.
Click the Change button.
On the drop-down menu, choose the language you want.
Follow same procedure to change back to your original language.

So, whether you want to work in your native language, brush up on a second (or third), or communicate with friends in far-away places, Windows makes it easy.
John Doe
Server Admin
Server Admin

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2003 12:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It may be as simple as going into the control panel and changing all the regional settings but if the O/S was in Dutch in the first place you may not be able to get far with this.

YMMV.

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2003 12:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I went into the control panel and enabled "multi-language" support and then changed it to "French" in the regional settings and it said, Not on this computer you won't ! WTF ? #Crazy

No seriously though, that only lets it recognise french characters, currency, time zone.

John Doe wrote:
It may be as simple as going into the control panel and changing all the regional settings but if the O/S was in Dutch in the first place you may not be able to get far with this.

YMMV.
cobra
Server Admin
Server Admin

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2003 3:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nice answer species but that is not what i wanted.sorry

my friend want's his hole comp in french, which means the OS. i know i can do it by installing win98 again cause there you can choose to install it in french or dutch.

it's just that she doesn't use the comp much and i don't really feel like formatting that comp and reinstalling everything. i got enough to do like it is.
SpeCies

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2003 4:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can really understand what you mean Cobra, I hate reformatting a system. Tell your friend that this may be her only answer to the problem though. Good Luck

cobra wrote:
nice answer species but that is not what i wanted.sorry

my friend want's his hole comp in french, which means the OS. i know i can do it by installing win98 again cause there you can choose to install it in french or dutch.

it's just that she doesn't use the comp much and i don't really feel like formatting that comp and reinstalling everything. i got enough to do like it is.
cobra
Server Admin
Server Admin

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2003 4:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

guess that means formatting. just ended installing everything back on mine.

well lets rebegin with my friends comp.
JohnCarterofMars

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2003 5:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ahh yes the joys of re-installation... how many times have I done that now? Well, if you count since dos 3.0 and Win 3.11 about a hundred times... Does it get any easier the more you do it? HELL NO! LOL!

Good luck Cobra!

View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
thewz

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2003 6:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cobra, you don't have to reformat to re-install win98. I've reinstalled without having to reformat many times.
cobra
Server Admin
Server Admin

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2003 1:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thewz wrote:
Cobra, you don't have to reformat to re-install win98. I've reinstalled without having to reformat many times.

i know but it is better to format before you install. installing win again over it could bring me some troubles afterwards.
thewz

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2003 3:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cobra wrote:
Thewz wrote:

i know but it is better to format before you install. installing win again over it could bring me some troubles afterwards.

It worked perfectly for me.
cobra
Server Admin
Server Admin

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2003 3:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i will see what i will do. probably just install it over it. not much time heh.
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    The Ville.org Half-Life Gaming Community Forum Index -> Tech Corner All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: