FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Demos, making and viewing

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    The Ville.org Half-Life Gaming Community Forum Index -> Tech Corner
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Blue Ruler
Server Admin
Server Admin

PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2003 1:00 pm    Post subject: Demos, making and viewing Reply with quote

I will try to take this step by step. If I screw up someone let me know please.

Now you want to make a demo and this is the starting point.

1: in console type record and then whatever name you want to call it
ie: record blueruler note space between record and blue

2: to stop recording simply type stop in console

hint do not make demo to long. It is of utmost importance that you do type stop in console since I believe that your demo will be corrupted if you do not.

You have recorded the demo and stopped it. Record another one so you have backup just in case.

Ok now you have the demo recorded, now you have to find it.

3: go into your desktop or whatever and open My Computer and into drive [C:]

4: open sierra folder

5: open half-life folder

6: depending on the game you were playing open that folder ie: tfc, dod or ns

7: look for your demo

8: right click on demo and unzip it, I use winrar its much easier than winzip at least I think so.

9: Ok now its unzipped so go back to your desktop and click on your tfc, dod, ns desktop icon

10: when it opens the top option should be console, click on it and type in console the playdemo blueruler, playdemo is one word and space between demo and blue

11: there will be a slight delay and the demo will play for you or at least it should.

Good-Luck
Chen Kenichi

PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2003 1:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think demos corrupt if you don't stop them. By simply exiting out of the game the demo will end. Demos corrupt when they overwrite demos of the same name that were recorded on a different map.

I wouldn't worry about recording a backup. It's not worth the trouble. I've never had a demo corrupt on me, and I've made hundreds.

The demos shouldn't be zipped when you record them. If you download a demo, then you have to unzip it.

I wouldn't use playdemo when watching one. The command viewdemo is much better. It allows you to rewind, pause, and fastforward though the demo. Plus the playback quality is better. I believe there is a viewdemo patch out that prevents demos from ending too early in viewdemo mode.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2003 1:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the tips Blue...follow thoughs and you should have a working demo! If I might add one or two things.

Addon to step #1

If you ever encounter the problem of the demo saying it was recorded on the wrong map, type retry in console before typing record demoname.

Alternative to step #10

You can also use an seperate program like Geekplay to view your demos. Follow the same steps as before, but after unzipping to desired folder, run Geekplay and its pretty self-explantory from there.

http://www.myspace.com/pvallone
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Bright Red Nipples

PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2003 2:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chen Kenichi wrote:
I don't think demos corrupt if you don't stop them. By simply exiting out of the game the demo will end. Demos corrupt when they overwrite demos of the same name that were recorded on a different map.

I have had demos get corrupted because of this. Also you want to make sure you end the demo before recording another one. Common sense tells you, duh, but this will also corrupt a demo as well.

As for the view demo, good tip. I actually didn't know this. Thx for the heads up. Great post BR

God Bless You Blue Ruler
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    The Ville.org Half-Life Gaming Community Forum Index -> Tech Corner All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: