FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Gaming Performance

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    The Ville.org Half-Life Gaming Community Forum Index -> Tech Corner
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Verman
Ville Supporter
Ville Supporter

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2003 3:00 pm    Post subject: Gaming Performance Reply with quote

This topic has been discussed many times in the past, but I thought it might be time to solicit opinions again, given the recent advancements in the computer world.

Can one draw a correlation between core computer hardware performance characteristics (CPU speed, memory size, HDD timing, video processor & ram) and overall gaming speed, using a "normal" cable/DSL hookup as your baseline comparison?

In math terms: Does (GHZ+MB+ms+fpos)= ping?

Just looking for opinions from those who may possess the latest & greatest.
Tks.......#Robot
<TVB>IdiotSavant

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2003 4:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you looking only for a lower ping assessment? If that is the case then a fast pipe, ie. T1 or greater, connected to a major backbone provider will get you a great ping.

If you are looking for more than ping, ie. quality of graphics, sound quality, raw procesing power and such. Then you need to look to the system core.

Nothing is absolute in the PC world. By the time you find the best system, or the best core components, then they have already released something better and faster. Unfortunately, you can't always get your hands on the latest stuff due to supply and demand. PC product growth in terms of technology and ease of use is staggering.

Let me know if you meant ping only. Otherwise we are in for a very long discussion. =)

"Make something idiot proof and someone will make a better idiot."
sharkbyte
Ville Supporter
Ville Supporter

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2003 10:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What Savant said...

But also remember that the game moves at the same speed, whether you do or not. This is why when your ping is high, engy is the best class. Because your sg operates at game speed regardless of your ping.

While I haven't had the opportunity to test my theories, I do believe that for direct ping impact, your pipe is the driving force. Cable is better than 56k, DSL is better than cable, and T1 is better than DSL.

Some of it also depends on your location. How many switches/routers are you going through to get to the server? the more you pass through, the slower your response.

As for game impact, if the pings are equal, then the machine becomes the key. Ghz, RAM, and Vid-RAM all contribute. I would venture video card, ghz, then RAM, affect in that order.

And once all of these things are equal, then you have the human factor. Some people have fast reflexes (???) ...others fast hand-eye coordination (myself). Others have both (Eagle Eyes) (though I think he h4xors j/k ).

Hope this helps.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2003 10:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the LATENCY, whats shown on the scoreboard, has something to do with your comp's power, becasue i play on the same server as my little bro sometimes but have like 3 better latency, though my ping is actually higher (damn you MS internet connection sharing) ((another very logn story)), but my massively better CPU gives me better latency... overall though, id rather have 50 ping and an average comp than my comp and 200 ping (well, maby ;P)

BR, yo
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
sharkbyte
Ville Supporter
Ville Supporter

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2003 8:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PondScm007 wrote:
the LATENCY, whats shown on the scoreboard, has something to do with your comp's power, becasue i play on the same server as my little bro sometimes but have like 3 better latency, though my ping is actually higher (damn you MS internet connection sharing) ((another very logn story)), but my massively better CPU gives me better latency... overall though, id rather have 50 ping and an average comp than my comp and 200 ping (well, maby ;P)

So I didn't use all the term thingies. He got my point.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2003 9:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Check out this link. It may clear up some misconceptions some of you may have about vid card affecting performance. It is worth the read. =)

http://www.tomshardware.com/graphic/20000704/index.html

sharkbyte
Ville Supporter
Ville Supporter

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2003 9:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

IdiotSavant wrote:
Check out this link. It may clear up some misconceptions some of you may have about vid card affecting performance. It is worth the read. =)

http://www.tomshardware.com/graphic/20000704/index.html

Great article.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2003 11:43 am    Post subject: Re: Gaming Performance Reply with quote

Verman wrote:
Can one draw a correlation between core computer hardware performance characteristics (CPU speed, memory size, HDD timing, video processor & ram) and overall gaming speed, using a "normal" cable/DSL hookup as your baseline comparison?

In math terms: Does (GHZ+MB+ms+fpos)= ping?

Just looking for opinions from those who may possess the latest & greatest.
Tks.......#Robot

If you are playing against your fellow TVBers on a LAN, then your machine speed, ram available, vid card, FSB, monitor refresh rates, and even the quality of your nic comes into play. Forgot sound card. If you have a high end sound card that helps take processing power away the main CPU, then it also can help performance.

Playing on the internet can cause alot of other factors to be thrown in. Such as your current internet connection. If you are high speed access and your provider has a relatively short hop to the backbone, then you are in good shape. If you are dialup, then you are at the mercy of the you dialup provider and the quality of equipment they use. The number of hops makes a difference also, but for dialup you need to look at it like this...when you do get high speed access, you will be a holy terror to those of us already there. (assuming you got skills while on dialup.)

Any of this make sense?
Have I left anything out?
Did this come close to hitting the topic, or am I rambling again?

Verman
Ville Supporter
Ville Supporter

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2003 3:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for thought provoking lines. Spent most of Sunday re-cabling my #1 system and assess its capabilities.
That article was good. I visit Tom's regularly, and even though that was a little dated, it put things into a much clearer view.

My system:
Athlon 2100XP
ASUS A7V333 MB
WD 100GB w/8MB buffer
512MB PC2700 RAM
ASUS 8440 Ge4 Video
Viewsonic E790 monitor
Roadrunner Cable

I always have a great gaming experience as it relates to the graphics, motion, and overall play. I've come to the conclusion that the system is a decent platform with which to use. But due to the great distance from the TVB server, I am doomed to have a moderate to high ping when compared to the more locals.

Like it was already stated, there are some classes that can tolerate this condition, and some that absolutely won't work. I'll just have to hone my skills with those classes in order to be less of a detriment to my team.

Occasionally (?!) my ego has trouble with being less than the Top Bug on the map.
#Beer
See you all on the map....................
Bada Bing

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2003 3:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

.... and don't get AOL for an ISP like poor Trigga

Are you threatening me ???
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Verman
Ville Supporter
Ville Supporter

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2003 10:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Justing thinking about AOL gives me a bad rash.
Sorry, but I am a big boy now and do not need my hand held during every trek thru the 'Net.
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    The Ville.org Half-Life Gaming Community Forum Index -> Tech Corner All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: