FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Fun with Medics

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    The Ville.org Half-Life Gaming Community Forum Index -> John_Doe's Tip Section
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Brujah

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2002 4:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

seeing as how everyone seemed to love that spy spotting thread I figure I'll give out a few of my dirty lil medic secrets

1) The Medikit is a cruicial asset. If your running around in one area doing nothing or just bored pull out your medikit and heal/infect anyone and everything. This is a great way to find spys and annoy the crap outta the other team

2) after infecting a heavy class back off and grab the super shotty. I see medics all the time sit there and pump the medikit on a HW. This works well if your behind them and they're just running along towards your base or busy trying to kill something else. But if they see you and you've already gave them a dose.. ease off... the HW's AC doesn't have that great hit rate at distances. that and a soldier's rocket it pretty easy to sidestep if your 10 feet away from em(be wary of a wall behind you)

3) nades are handy. I don't know how many times my super shotty got empty and I toss a nade that deals the blow to seal the deal. This isn't a neccesary tactic but it is handy as all get out.

4) if the super shotty runs outta ammo and your tired of waiting for the reload crank out the super nailgun. I've gotten a few kills this way and it does help(unless your going for a SG >)

4.2) If all else seems lost grab the reg shotty. I see people waiting for thier super shotty to reload all the time, on occassion(I've been trying to make a habit of this) I'll grab the reg shotty and pump a few reg bullets in em.. it loads and fires a tad bit faster

5) Conc Jump. I swear the thrill of getting on that sniper deck in 2fort after being pegged by snipers 2 or 3 times and infecting the hades outta them is a rush. that and it helps you get around the map faster(for thoose working on capping). If you need to get somewhere fast(like across the open area to the water in well) toss out a conc and fly your lil booty across the map.

6) Go for flag caps if your not doing that good. I've seen medics sit back and play defense and do nothing what so ever. These are the guys that need to run out and offense, simply for the fact ... the're dying anyway

7) Nail the SGs. I know it's common knowledge but pull out your super nailgun and peg the hades out of the SGs(super shotty works better on MGs you ask me). I know its practiclly impossible to get it when an engy is sitting there hammering away at it but at least burn off that metal stash he has in his inventory long enough for someone else to get it.

7.2) Suicide for the SG(stat hogs love this one j/k >). If an SG has been really super annoying for me, I'll just prime a nade run at it with the super nailgun, tossing as many grenades as I can at it. this normally kills most SGs unless there's multiple engys hoving it then your luck has diminished

Conc the enemy. nomally overlooked(even by me, but it has worked its way in lately) throwing a concussion at your enemy does help tons. they can't kill what they can't hit. This works best against soldiers cause sometimes they'll kill themselves trying to get to you.

I'm sure this is just a tip on the iceberg and someones gonna post some stuff I havn't mentioned .. but that's the jist of what I know. If your overly lucky super shotty god snaggle will post more tips on that area >:]
South-American Fire Ant

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2002 10:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i trhink medicks are really good cuz, they are really versatile.
I mean, you could fight ANY class as a medic and have a chance of winning. Not face to face, think cheep!

j00r phireant,
mn3
MuLiShA

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2002 11:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ill add to the nailing the sg one.....

if an engy is keeping on healing it, try to aim the gun towards the engy and it will kill him pretty fast then go onto the sg
Snaggletooth

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2002 1:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I started a thread back a while ago that was something like this.
http://www.theville.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1993

As for current things I would stress....

1 word.

Reload.

It can make or break your survival on smaller maps. If you aren't shooting, you should be reloading your shotty. But don't just rely on the super shotty, or the medpack. USE YOUR ENTIRE ARSENAL! You've got those weapons, use them. The Snailgun is great for ripping apart SGs and HW armor. It also annoys the crap out of snipers trying to lock on to you from the tower in Avanti. Also, make sure you have a mouse sensitivity you're comfortable with. I usually have mine set to 5.5, but lately I've been experimenting with values between 8 and 10 just to see what that does to my concing.

A word about concing, get out there and do it. Nuff said. If you don't know how, Download Tayconc, and some of the other conc maps that are available. If you can get through Tayconc with relative ease, I suggest moving on to maps like concmap_r. There are some jumps in there that make you wonder what the designer was thinking. There are some other really good maps available from JMC's map Zone. There are some maps that require a 5 combo conc jump. I can't get anything past 3, and even then I can't really do it very well.

If you're really into concing, I'd suggest downloading some maps from Master Medics. +M|M+ Probably the most elite medic guild out there, and a great resource for concing tips. They're just getting the new website up, as the old one went down several months ago.

This is the demo of their new webpage, with links to the forums and stuff.

http://hl.wwgaming.com/mastermedics/code/index.asp

Now, here is my biggest tip for the budding medic in you....

PLAY THE REALLY SLOW CLASS!

If you can maneuver around a map with that tub of lard, the HW. You'll be amazed at what you can do when you jump back in to being a medic. Your aim improves by leaps and bounds, and you feel like you have all the time in the world with the speed you have. I can't stress enough playing other classes that you normally wouldn't, it gives you a chance to experiment with weapons you would usually run from, and figure out a strategy to defeat them.
Brujah

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2002 2:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok I brought this up before.. but it's pretty handy with all the faster classes(sniper unzoomed,scout,medic, engy, ya know...) ... and that's dodging the soldiers rocket.. you have no idea how many times I'll be on 2fort shooting some idiot noob rocket soldier with my super shotty while they wait to reload.... of course by this time a sniper normally comes along and puts a bullet through one of my body parts .. but ya know... Its funny when the run towards ya so they can get better aim.. then notice you pulled out the medikit and started approaching them.. really gets em goin ya know...anyway.. I'm rambling away my secrets >:P
Blue Ruler
Server Admin
Server Admin

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2002 6:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm surprised it has not been mentioned Grab each and every bag you can After you infected someone they can run around and chase you but if they can't get a bag to increase their healing it sure helps to wear them down, so take them all Ehco the HW Guy aiding he can go a long way with a medic pumping him full of health In general be a royal pain in the a$$ cause it never fails that if a medic gets into enemy territory they will try to stop him from creating chaos in their ranks thus causing a delay in their team capping

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2002 8:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

One decent HW and a medic keeping his health up can be real annoying.

Two decent HW and a medic keeping their health up can dominate an area. Even better than sgs/mgs. I saw this happen a few days ago--the HWs/medic shut down the bulk of the offense. Anyone who got past that trio was either wounded, infected, or just plain lucky.

Of course the medic has to be willing to get into the fray and heal those HW for this to work--which also means perishing frequently. Your kill/death ratio may not look good--but when your team comes out on top at the end of the game it is worth it!

<edit to add>
Also pump up the flag carrier with a little extra health. A pumped up soldier can rocket cap cp2 on avanti even with an sg in the hall at cp2--and then worry about killing the sg after getting full health and armor from capping! This can work with any cap point.

Oh and if you are waiting for the gates to open and your team's medic is chasing you with the medikit, hold still for a few seconds so he can pump you with extra health!
ToRaK

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2002 10:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know that many of you will disagree with this, but the medic class isn't great on Avanti. There is simply too many open spaces/defenders to make a medics life hard. Therefore, all of the following tips are made primarily for CTF maps.

Tip #1 (grenades)

Learn to conc jump. Learn to conc jump well. HH conc's are crucial, but get harder with higher ping. Learn the simple jumps first (such as 2fort h2o, well h2o, 2fort elevator).

Learn how to use conc grenades to "push" enemies out of the way. This is the only way to beat a "skilled" soldier. HW's can be disabled just by disorienting them. Good soldiers are still able to fight while conc'ed (just ask NJK lol)

Learn how to prime regular grenades. It is very easy to avoid a grenade if you have four seconds to see it and get away. Even the gimp HW can make a dash away from it.

Tip #2 (SG's)

SG's give players harder times than they should. Most players "spam" SG's out from around the corner. A variation on this method is using the SNG to take down a piece of the SG. You have to realize that SG's are very predictable and if you practice a bit you will be able to easily defeat an SG every time.

If you have time, go ahead and use the SNG to take down the SG. Most of the time you will not have time. Practice using one grenade and the SNG to take down the SG. For the more advanced try circling the SG (note, can't always be done). It is important to remember that SG's do not instantly kill you and take a moment to "lock on" to the target. Just because an SG is tracking you, most of the time you can take it down before it locks on.

Tip #3 (soldiers)

Every medic's worse nightmare. You must learn to disable the soldier with concusion. Using the medpack is signing your death warrent. However, it is sometime effective to use the medic pack, drop a regular grenade and then move the flag as soon as the enemy dies.

Do not forget the powerful regular grenades you carry. The soldier does have a slight advantage, but if you are careful enough and work as a team your offense should be able to knock the D down.
rAT bOY

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2002 9:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's my opinion:
When you're a medic, and going for the flag in a CTF map (your main reason being a medic), you always will need someone else with you. Your backup will weaken and distract the front line while you run for the flag and hopefully finish off a couple of soldiers with your shotty and grenades.
If there is an SG, kill the engineeer if you have the chance so you can concentrate on the SG. A couple of nails will do fine.
Your concs are the most important weapon you have. If you see a soldier or HW, run behind a corner and prime your conc. Watch out for spam and then toss it at them. Hopefully they are not [DW]Battery or anybody like that and they will miss you. (heh torak, you only sometimes hit me while conced) Then you can run past them.
Conc jumps are crucial to your survival on CTF maps. They open up many different pathways into the enemy base, instead of the main entrance. When you're near the flag, you can bypass SGs and enemies with a well timed conc jump. Prime your grenade just right, toss it out and run out and jump towards the flag. Once you have the flag and get it out of the flag room, your team has a pretty good chance of capping it. If you have l337 $ki||z, you can try a handheld conc, but only if you have a low ping. Hold it in your hand and jump right before the last beep. You can jump from one entrance to the other in well, or even one roof to the other in 2fort.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Snaggletooth

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2002 1:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just a little update...

I've been experimenting heavily with mouse sensitivities, and now I've come to realize that the best setting possible is 20. Yes, it's the highest it goes, but it makes your strafe jumping almost as effective as bunny hopping. It also makes your concs easier to control while in the air.

Echoing what rAT bOY said, HH concs are a crucial part of a medic's style on CTF maps. If you can't do one... practice a ton until you can. They've saved my life on more than one occasion over on some of the league servers, as well as here at The Ville.
CyC0Dad

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2002 4:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not sure if any of you read this old thread, but it was copied over from the old avantiville forums. The funny part is I think the info is just as usefull today as it was then. There is a lot being repeated here that was posted in that thread which just shows how little things have changed in the last couple years for the medic.

http://www.theville.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=148

Check it out, there is a lot of usefull info there....

Hey Snaggle, I especially like the post where you say you played medic for the first time
Snaggletooth

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2002 5:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah....memories...

I learned how to play medic mostly on a crappy AOL dial up connection, makes you very grateful for a decent connection.

I sorta miss those days...well okay, not really the AOL part.
KopiKat

PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2002 11:54 pm    Post subject: Here are a few tips that help me:) Reply with quote

When Conc jumping, dont throw it unless u want to jump virtically. Just hold it, and jump before it goes off. A well timed jump will satasfy even the more air-time hungry playerz Also, even though it hurts the stats, a suicide medic is still a good medic! If u suicide, but u infect even just one guy, u have accomplished ur objective Thats all I got fer now, just remember to keep those medipacks handy

-KK
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    The Ville.org Half-Life Gaming Community Forum Index -> John_Doe's Tip Section All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: