FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
How to be a better Pyro

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    The Ville.org Half-Life Gaming Community Forum Index -> John_Doe's Tip Section
View previous topic :: View next topic  
John Doe
Server Admin
Server Admin

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2001 12:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Warhammer -TPF- How to be a better pyromaniac!

I find pyros a terribly fun class to play. Not great for boosting your ranking, but they are invaluable on offense for confusing the defensive team. I think a team with a good pyro can discoordinate even the best team. Pyros are fast and have decent armor.
Now, let's get a few things straight about what a pyro can and can't do:

1) Pyros SUCK at long range. The only thing they can do of any value at distance is set enemy snipers on fire with the incindiary rockets. Your main objective is to close with the enemy as quickly as possible.

2) Master the strafe. If you don't strafe, you won't even be able to kill an engineer. Strafe in a circle around the enemy while torching them, reversing direction every few seconds. Believe me, even a good HWG won't know where you are after a few seconds.

3) To really get under the enemy's skin, try to flank them, then just set everyone on fire with your flamethrower. Unless they have a SG or sniper on defense, you can easily distract the enemy team for a good 30 seconds while they focus on killing you. This will give your team a chance to concentrate and regroup, kill their SG's, etc.. Don't concentrate on killing one person, find everyone around and set them on fire too. It's extremely difficult for them to accurately hit you when they're on fire, so torch them and run. Get snipers and HWG first, then move on to demos and soldiers. This is brutally effective on defense, where it disrupts the enemy's forward push.

4) Throw napalm grenades in high-traffic choke points. On offense: The death room past 2, the bag past 3, stairs leading to the church.

5) When going for the church and there are enemy SG's inside, pepper the outside walls with incindiary rockets. This will most likely set the engineers inside on fire! While it's not enough to really hurt them, it takes their mind off building/repairing their SG's.

Date: Jun 23, 2001 on 07:23 p.m.

Greebo
Re:How to be a better pyromaniac!

Couldn't have put it better myself
even I (with my enourmously high ping) can kill an HW occasionally with pyro

{E4}Stump
Re:How to be a better pyromaniac!

if you are defending and you see a distant enemy. Shoot a rocket at him, start running towards him, by time it makes contact you are about 5 feet away and ready to use the flamethrower. Use the rocket so you can actually get close to him, he will be more worried about the rocket than shooting you.
Bakuryu

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2001 7:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I LOVE pyro, and I have some stuff to add. Don't underestimate the incindary cannon, it's extremely powerful if combined properly. By combined I mean this: if you are in medium range of someone, you can fire a rocket, hit them with flamethrower, fire another rocket, and toss a grenade behind them so they have no route of escape. If the flames don't get them, the grenade will. Also, pyros are a soldier's best friend. A pyro-soldier duo can wipe out all sentryguns with ease. The pyro lights the engys and defenders on fire while the soldier blasts the sentries and/or hucks in a nail grenade to clean house. Also, experienced pyros are lethal in packs and can easly overwhelm an entire team (i did this this morning by myself but with 2 other pyros it would've been a lot more easy ). Hope my additions help!

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Maian

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2001 7:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well put Bakuryu. Pyros are great at long range, especially against snipers. If you throw incindiary rockets at them over and over, youll most likely kill them. Snipers are very weak, and while consumed by fire, they cant see well, and thus eliminating their greatest ability. If they are aiming at you, just strafe left and right quickly, they shouldnt be able to hit you. If you are up close, even better, just pull out your flamethrower, and stand right next to them, even infront of them. Theyll probably try to kill you in one shot with their sniper rifle, so just crouch and stand up quicky, over and over again with your flamethrower still going, until theyre dead. They most likely wont be able to hit you, and if they do, itll most likely be a leg shot. This always works for me, unless they have someone else with them. Pyros are also great for taking out sgs. At long range,where an sg cant track you, just incindiary rocket it repeatedly. Or throw a napalm grenade at it if you can. I dont remember who said it, but napalm grenades are great at taking out sgs, and keeping engies at bay from repairing them. Fire works extremely well against sgs. And I believe that a pyro is a snipers best friend. Snipers tend to go after other snipers, and if you can set them on fire with your IC, you will make them unable to kill either of you, and he is an easy target for your sniper. And if he does kill one of you, chances are, he wont have the chance to kill both of you. This also works against most other classes. Please, do not underestimate the power of Pyros!

Sick Cycle Carousel
Lifehouse
No Name Face
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Twisted29

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2001 8:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The inciderary rocket doesn't do much physical damage, its only asset is to distract enemies and take away their vision. The biggest advantage of this weapon is that it doesn't have to be reloaded like the soldiers rocket. This is great for suppressing enemy snipers. Fire 20 or so rockets into the bell tower and your team can concentrate on taking down the sgs without worring about sniper fire (at least for a while). Its also frustrating for a sniper to have to watch rockets zoom over their heads for 30 seconds or a minute before they can resume firing.

Another tip with the rocket, you don't have to be terribly acurate. It has the largest effective damage radius in the game. This is good for setting enemy engies on fire withou coming under fire by their sgs.

As much as I hate spam ("I don't like spam") thats what the pyro asset is. Shoot at everything and as often as possible. The flames are just too weak to kill an enemy off of one shot.

The flame grenades are also very useful. If you come across a large number of enemies start flaming them (HW and soldier first usually). Drop a couple flame grens and get out of there. A lot of time while blinded the enemies will just spin and shoot. If they do this on a flame patch they will keep taking damage and thing your still shooting them. Meanwhile you can be half a map away finding a friendly medic.

Speaking of medics, if you come across an enemy medic or pyro use convential weapons. These classes are partially flame-resistant and take a lot more effort to burn. If you pull out the shotgun and normalgrens you will have better luck. If you don't believe me, try it.

Well, there's my two cents worth..and I can feel it devaluating already...
Maian

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2001 5:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

True, the incindiary rockets arent very strong, however I know that they are the greatest enemies to snipers. If you see a sniper in the tower, just keep launching rocket after rocket into the tower until he dies. The rocket will set the whole tower on fire, and a sniper has no choice but to die, or get out. And against enemy pyros, use the crowbar, since they cant be set on fire.

Sick Cycle Carousel
Lifehouse
No Name Face
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
NiGhTmArE

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2001 7:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

im no pyro expert, so i dont have much to say about them, but i can say this, now from your tips john, baraku and others, im definately going to b pyro more often!!!

Thanks, NiGhTmArE
Bakuryu

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2001 9:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually when you hit and class other than pyro hwg and soldier it takes off 15 damage and some armor and sets them on fire for an additioal 3-5 damage. Hitting someone head on with an incindary rocket does a lot of damage and makes the fire last longer from what I've seen since it made more contact with the person. Also, napalm grenades are very effective if you hit someone dead on with them because they do explode, although not as strongly as a grenade and they immediately light them on fire and keep them that way.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2001 11:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't usually post much around here, but I suppose I play a pyro enough to put in some two cents of my own.

Top 5 things to being a pyro.

1) Get behind the enemy. The weaker snipers and engineers are there, they burn real easy.

2) Don't be afraid to disengage heavy weapons and soldiers. Contrary to what you might think, soldiers are the LARGEST problem to being a pyro because their weapon can keep you away. Heavy weapons are a pain to kill, but are definatly possible to defeat (the bad ones tend to just sit there and spin). Also save your grenades for these guys and sg's. SG's are practically the only reason you need incindiary rockets, and they alone won't kill them (but they sure do tick off the engineer repairing them).

3) Kinda goes with two, keep moving, pause only to kill snipers and engineers, and if someone is playing one a scout. Your job is to cause annoyance, and distraction. I also suggest planning routes, so you know where you can pick up health and ammo on the way.

4) Use incindary grenades often. They are great for blinding the enemy and covering your flanks. Lay one on the flag for a warm welcome to all scouts.

5) Don't JUST strafe, also change depth with the enemy, run away, so they calm down a little, then flank them again. It is the only way you can defeat a pyro. You have SOME play in range especially with stationary targets. Try to get real close to snipers and duck or circle around, getting far from them gives them a shot.

Extra Tip: If you have a weak enemy (sniper or engineer) in the corner, once they are on fire and pinned, pull out your crowbar for extra insult to injury (and more damage!!). You won't always get a crowbar kill, sometimes the flames get them first.

Just some of the stuff (or all, see I wrote down everything I can think of, so it could be all) that I do as a pyro.
[Wolfpack]Deqlyn Moquei

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2001 1:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pyro: I am expert pyro u can ask any PWG.

When Fighting HW: hit them with cannon so they cant see circle strafe like vulture with Flame thrower. I myslef use napalm as a regualr grenade.

Getting out flag pits is easy. Try inceneray cannon jumping. Thats how i get past HWs if im carrying flag simply look down and fire and u jump right over them.

Also using the napalm gren and firing the incenderary cannon can give u enough jump to get up onto the gratepart inside the 2 fort base from below. lso use the cannon to jump over the "well" in well. My favorite trick is firing the cannon at ground and timing the primary grenade to go off so i can get up outa 2forts bottom thru the basement up the eleshaft and also at crossover2. Ill stop by someitme and show tricks if u guys wanna setup something.

Dog
JohnCarterofMars

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2001 7:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well my only tip, since all of you guys seem to have the strategy down is to be sure to yell FIRE!FIRE!FIRE! MUHAHAHAHAHAHA! and BURN you dirty Rats! And other taunts like that. The thing that I enjoy most about being a pyro is that it seems to quell my urges for burning things. I do however feel like roasting a steak on the grill after a good match as a pyro! HAHAHAHAHHAHAHHHAHAHHAHHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHHAHAHAHHAHAHHAHAHHAH! *crackle snap pop, JohnCarter does not see that his own ass is on fire at this very moment becuase he sat on a napalm grenade*

Oh yes and remember kids, Only you can prevent forest fires!

View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
anthrex

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2001 8:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

well jcom. those r some great strategies u got there maybe ill try them out. time to yell FIRE!FIRE!FIRE! MUHAHAHAHAHAHA! and BURN you dirty Rats!
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    The Ville.org Half-Life Gaming Community Forum Index -> John_Doe's Tip Section All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: