FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Memory

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    The Ville.org Half-Life Gaming Community Forum Index -> Tech Corner
View previous topic :: View next topic  
OpTlk

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2005 3:07 pm    Post subject: Memory Reply with quote

Ok, im looking to add a GiG of memory to my desktop and so far I've done a quick browse of a couple sites...but i have a few questions id like to throw by some of you.

1) What are good manufacturer names to look at?
1a) Which should I avoid?

2) Is PC3200 low/mid/high level?
2a)What exactly is the difference between the speeds?
2b)Do both sticks have to have the same speed?
2c)Any other suggestions?

3) My board supports up to 2GB...are there any other parts that become a factor with a significant upgrade?(power supply, processor, etc)

and yes, i know i should be able to figure this stuff out, but every now & then my brain just doesnt feel like showing up to work and im left dumb, so yeah any help would be appreciated. thanks

http://www.myspace.com/pvallone
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Simpleman
Server Admin
Server Admin

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2005 3:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well first you need to look to see what your MB excepts PC3200,2700,2100 or what ever.

I myself like Corsair and if your MB allows dual channel it's the only way togo as they sell dual channel in maed pairs. So you don't have to worry about buying 2 sticks as it comes in a set. AKA 2=512 sticks for 1 gig of dual channel ram. Basically dual channel runs at a faster speed then 2 unmatched basic ram.

Something like this

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16820145449
Rebel_Rouser
Server Admin
Server Admin

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2005 4:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is where you need to get your ram!
http://www.crucial.com/

I bought mine there. Good quality and a low price

Longest Running Show in Broadway History 1/9/06
[IAM]mower
Ville Supporter
Ville Supporter

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2005 6:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I always go with a big name brand as in crucial or geil or even Kingston Technology. Make sure the speed of the chips are the same. If you can buy 2 of the same in a package set. I would stay away from companies that make moore than just memory like apple or asus they make good products but stick to a ram maker. You shouldnt need anymore power supply or any thing like that but there always could be an internal power issue with voltage, you may have to switch some jumpers.
ROOFCUTTER
Server Admin
Server Admin

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2005 7:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Optic if you have the time. Figure out the one that fits your computer and then keep an eye on the Frys ads. They have name brand memory on sale as a loss/leader item. If you keep an eye on the papers something that fits your rig will come up that rocks and is cheap.

Or maybe not! i have 2 gigs for song
utah

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2005 3:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

propecia - http://www.bestrxpills.com
Mike

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2005 4:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

you cant buy 2 of the same 512 sticks seperately because they're most likely not dual cahnnel enabled, your gonna have to get a pack.

simple, XMS isn't really needed because he probably doesn't have ram that low of a latency and timings.

something like this is good.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16820145440

corsair makes good quality ram and has a lifetime warranty
Bull
Ville Supporter
Ville Supporter

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2005 4:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Eveyone's suggestions are good. I would also add that it might be a good idea to go to the Motherboard Mfg web site, as most have 'preferred' memory suggestions for any one particular model/type. There's a lot of PC3200 memory out there, but will not necessarily work well with a given M/B. Asus is a good example and I can attest to it. What they generally 'suggest' what brand of memory to use, I would adhere to it.

As Simpleman said, if your M/B has DDR capablility, rather than get one stick of 1GB, get two sticks of matching 512MB. It will run much faster and more reliably. Better yet, get two sticks of matching 1GB memory!

Remember, XP is a memory hog. Also follow the suggestions found elsewhere on this forum to cut down on the amount or services running while in game play. That had to be one of the most stablizing mods I've personally implimented, as it cuts down on CPU processing.

Get-r-done.. Sarge #2gunfire
and WalMart Security

"Get-r-Done"
Kahlan Amnell
Queen of Spam

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2005 7:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not to hijack the thread, but this is [IAM]mower's first post and I just want to say
WELCOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! to the forums and supportership

http://ctprofiles.net/799963
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
rANCOR hUNTER

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2005 6:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

HEYYYYYYYYYYYYY!

I'm getting a new motherboard(which supports 4GB) and processor for xmas. I currently have 1 GB of pc2700 but i want to order some pc3200 for my new board. If i bought 1 GB dual channel pc3200 and installed the pc2700 with it also, would that lower my performance rather than just the 1 GB of pc3200? It seems like I asked this question before and someone said that running 2700 with 3200 lowers the speed of the 3200 to 2700 is that correct?

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2005 7:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rANCOR hUNTER wrote:
HEYYYYYYYYYYYYY!

I'm getting a new motherboard(which supports 4GB) and processor for xmas. I currently have 1 GB of pc2700 but i want to order some pc3200 for my new board. If i bought 1 GB dual channel pc3200 and installed the pc2700 with it also, would that lower my performance rather than just the 1 GB of pc3200? It seems like I asked this question before and someone said that running 2700 with 3200 lowers the speed of the 3200 to 2700 is that correct?

ya i think so.
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    The Ville.org Half-Life Gaming Community Forum Index -> Tech Corner All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: