FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Comp Freezes
Goto page Previous  1, 2

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    The Ville.org Half-Life Gaming Community Forum Index -> Tech Corner
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Simpleman
Server Admin
Server Admin

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2005 12:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like it might be your memory as well as it looks like it might not be clearing correctly which would say there is something using it all up. Try looking in your task manager and see if you can see whats going on. Watch your memory and cpu and see if either is taxing out. I know McAfee did that to me when they had a update once. It took me about 2 weeks to figure out what it was.
Hamese
Server Admin
Server Admin

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2005 8:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think it is the memory, but I need to run it one at a time. I have 2gigs, and my resources are very low. I am very versed in spyware, and my machine is as clean as it has ever been. I had a temp gauge on the front panel for a while, but I took it off a few days ago, I can put it back on and look at the temp. Of course I think it was just ambient temp since it ran around 78-80 degrees. How hot should a processor be?

I like the spare HD idea to run another OS and see if it continues to happen.

Last night it ran for a few hours before it locked up. I almost thought it had gone away. That makes it sound like a temp issue, but last I remember it was about
Server Admin
Server Admin

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2005 10:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I suggest you find and download Hiren's bootcd. I know you can get it off bittorrent. This cd has a ton of diagnostic software. I would run memtest and then run a hard drive diag before you re-install. If you can't find Hiren's cd let me know I can hook you up.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2005 7:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi JD, yes it sure has been awhile! I think that my last post here had to do with "Blue's passing away" but I am not sure. But I will tell you this much it sure is not the same around here without "Blue" that is for sure

Glad to see that you are still alive and doing well also, J.D! Talk with you later.

John Doe wrote:
Species !!!! Wow, you last posted in July of 2004, its great to see you back and visiting !

Hamese, I agree with Species too, grab something like motherboard monitor and check your CPU temps to see if its a thermal issue.

Otherwise, I would suspect the OS first, look for spyware or viruses, make sure you have all windows patches installed and the latest updates for your spyware and antivirus software too.

It that doesnt get you anywhere a fresh install may be your next best test. If after you install XP from scratch and then promptly patch the OS with all the latest patches the problem continues (If its hardware the problem should continue while your trying to install the OS too) then I would start playing with the easy hardware.

See if you can swap out and test the ram, CPU, video card and so on to see if your problem goes away. Also, theres a chance it could be your power supply so if you swap that with another its a good thing to try too.

JD

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    The Ville.org Half-Life Gaming Community Forum Index -> Tech Corner All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: