FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Freezing

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    The Ville.org Half-Life Gaming Community Forum Index -> Tech Corner
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Killer KoolAid Man

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2005 6:11 pm    Post subject: Freezing Reply with quote

Alright, I just got a new computer, and there should be no reason for it to freeeze at all. It freezes at random times, with no warning. I am not running anything in particular either. Happens sometimes when im uusing aim, using internet...playing games...doesn't matter...No mesages pop up or anything. I will just suddenly freeze and i have to reset it manually with the button.

any ideas of the problem?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
John Doe
Server Admin
Server Admin

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2005 6:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Um, KKM that to me sounds like some sort of hardware issue....But I am sure you sorta figured that out already.

First place to check is the heat, see if its overheating and freezing. Install MBM or some other program that can probe your bios and check the temp sensors on board.

If the temps dont seem out of wack then the next place I would look is into your power supply, memory, then the vid card, then the CPU and last the mobo.

None of those are easy to troubleshoot without being able to swap in other components you have that you know work fine, so troubleshooting intermittent problems can often be very frustrating.

Did you build the PC yourself, buy it preassembled, or ???

You could/should also make sure your running all the latest drivers for your mobo chipset, vid card, etc and of course have done all the latest windows updates just in case its a exploit in the OS someone is taking advantage of. Getting behind a firewall will help with some of that if you have not been patching things yet, but its only a bandaid solution, patch the heck outta it!

JD

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2005 6:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ive checked all my drivers. I have service pack 2 with all windoews updates. its not overheating.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
crackhead_fred

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2005 6:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Killer KoolAid Man wrote:
I have service pack 2 with all windoews updates.
By golly I think I found your problem!
ROOFCUTTER
Server Admin
Server Admin

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2005 7:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just installed windows media center with xp professional with service pack 2. Firefox, google and other programs are hanging and going on to do the not responding cycle that sends an error report.

I have the fire wall off as well as all auto updating etc.

I will be going back to windows 2000 this weekend.

Im not that familiar with what the problems are but I dont want to waste my time with it

I wish you the best of luck
WiseOldJames{ATL}
Ville Supporter
Ville Supporter

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2005 1:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you bought it, i'd just take it back and get a new one.

I had problems like that before but I had installed new hardware (i think a video card or something like that) i hadn't properly un-installed and installed my old and new stuff so when i booted it up after a while it started conflicting and going WHICH ONE DO I USE!! AAHHHH! *pc takes a big ol poo*

If all else fails.....BEAT IT INTO SUBMISSION!

I could coordinate with my combat engineer buddies and get a few suggestions on how to make the process both FUN and EASY!

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    The Ville.org Half-Life Gaming Community Forum Index -> Tech Corner All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: