FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
New rig, Let me know what you think

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    The Ville.org Half-Life Gaming Community Forum Index -> Tech Corner
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mUj0
Ville Supporter
Ville Supporter

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2005 11:14 pm    Post subject: New rig, Let me know what you think Reply with quote

ASPIRE X-Superalien ATXA6SW-BL/500 Blue Aluminum Server Computer Case ATX aluminum 500W see-through power supply Power Supply - Retail
Model #: ATXA6SW-BL/500

$129.00

EPoX EP-9NPAJ SLI Socket 939 NVIDIA nForce4 SLI ATX AMD Motherboard - Retail
Model #: EP-9NPAJ SLI

$129.00

XFX PVT70FUND7 Geforce 7800GTX 256MB GDDR3 PCI Express x16 Video Card - Retail
Model #: PVT70FUND7

$499.00

AMD Athlon 64 3700+ San Diego 1GHz FSB Socket 939 Processor Model ADA3700BNBOX - Retail
Model #: ADA3700BNBOX
** This item is warranted through the product manufacturer only. what's this?

$272.00

CORSAIR XMS 1GB (2 x 512MB) 184-Pin DDR SDRAM DDR 400 (PC 3200) Unbuffered Dual Channel Kit System Memory Model TWINX1024-3200C2PT - Retail
Model #: TWINX1024-3200C2PT

$123.00

Seagate Barracuda 7200.7 ST3120026A 120GB 7200 RPM IDE Ultra ATA100 Hard Drive - OEM
Model #: ST3120026A

$81.50

Logitech Cordless Desktop Optical 967320-0403 Black PS/2 RF Wireless Standard Keyboard Mouse Included - OEM
Model #: 967320-0403

$24.95

SVA VR-17S White 17" 25ms LCD Monitor - Retail
Model #: VR-17S
** This item is warranted through the product manufacturer only. what's this?
**Dead Pixels Policy: Replacement or Refund for 8 or more dead pixels only.

$179.99

SONY Black IDE DVD Burner Model DWQ28A - OEM
Model #: DWQ28A

$39.99

Subtotal: $1,478.43

Well...I just want to know what everyone thinks. I'm seriously considering buying this and trying to put it together next month .

Colossians 2:20 "You have died with Christ, and he has set you free from the evil powers of this world. So why do you keep on following rules of the world"
5th GHG E.G. Mine

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2005 11:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think you may need some more HD space before you'd need to worry about upgrading anything, depending on what you plan on storing on this upcoming rig, otherwise, I can't see a thing to nitpick about.

Well, except I prefer ATI over NVidia, but that's just down to personal preference. Same would go with LCD over CRT; I personally just don't feel that LCD can get the level of detail that a CRT can right now, and while although there are some monitor that prove that wrong, they're expensive as all hell. Aside from my personal preferences, go for it.
Replica
Server Admin
Server Admin

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2005 12:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i'm fairly certain this board

http://www.newegg.com/product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16813123251&CMP=OTC-Froogle&ATT=EPoX+EP-9NPAJ+SLI+Socket+939+NVIDIA+nForce4+SLI+ATX+AMD+Motherboard

the one your have there can support SATA hard drives.... so why not switch out the one you have and maybe take in 5ths suggestion too and get a bigger/SATA drive?
Server Admin
Server Admin

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2005 1:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

On LCD monitors you want it to be atleast in the 8ms range to be able to game on it. 25ms I think you are going to have alot of ghosting on it amd for 10-20 dollars more you can get a 250 GIG sata drive as well. This is just my opinion by the way.

I should be getting my new LCD tomorrow . It a View sonic 19" with 4ms
mUj0
Ville Supporter
Ville Supporter

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2005 6:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

and see, this is why i ask what you all think. because i wouldnt of had a clue about any of it . i was definetly thinking about a better hard drive, i have one where i work, a western digital 200 Gig for $99. but i'm not sure i understand all that SATA and raid stuff...

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16822144416

same with the moniter thing, i would never have known lol. well there's a 19" CRT samsung i had looked at before, for $199, i'm definetly considering it.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16824001178

but other than that, everything else will work together fine? i'm trying to put together a gaming rig that will last me quite a while w/out upgrading (maybe two years). I can always just buy another 7800GTX when they're cheaper since i'm going SLI thats why i'm going with the biggest and baddest video card out there as of late. i went ahead a chipped in $30 extra for the better corsair RAM, tell me, will this make that much a difference?

the case seemed pretty nice, had the 500 Watt PSU in it, a decent one. 8 fams! lol! w00t.

the only thing i'm worried about is the processor, do you think it has enough to last for awhile? it has a bigger L2 cache, 1 Gig i believe. i just really cant afford to go with anthing faster. $1500 is my limit and this super sweet gaming rig is right there

well thank you all in advance. if anything else comes to mind, dont be afraid to tell me i'm doing something all wrong.

Colossians 2:20 "You have died with Christ, and he has set you free from the evil powers of this world. So why do you keep on following rules of the world"
Simpleman
Server Admin
Server Admin

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2005 7:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah that looks better .

Yes I would recommend going with the Corsair ram as it is higher Quality then most others unless you spend alot of extra $$$
I'm actually running the same exact RAM and I tell ya it made a big difference from the other ram I had .
Mike

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2005 11:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

lcd's aren't too good for gaming. that samsung is probably good, ive heard good things a bout the viewsonic CRTs too.
Clay Pigeon

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2005 11:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would recommend a larger capacity WD drive (you can always partition it up), and more RAM. If you're going to be running xp, or eventually vista, 1 gig would probably be the minimumamount of ram you should have. I would recommend getting a dual chan 2 gig (1 gig x2 ) kit.
The hard drive isn't as important at first, especially since you can always buy a new one later and add it in for increased storage. Heck, you might not even end up needing more than 1 gig of ram. All in all, your potential rig seems pretty good.
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    The Ville.org Half-Life Gaming Community Forum Index -> Tech Corner All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: